All graduating seniors and former graduates of Staples High School, in Westport, CT, are eligible to apply for a Staples Tuition Grants grant each year the student is attending an undergraduate, community college, vocational or trade school. Grants are awarded to students based on demonstrated financial need and are grants – not loans – and are therefore paid directly to the school the student attends, applied to the student’s net tuition, room and board cost. Awards are for one school year only, and students need to reapply each year they wish to be considered, but can apply any year they are in an undergraduate (or equivalent) program. Every year we consider each applicants current financial situation; whether or not the recipient has received an award in the past is not part of the criteria, so we encourage any eligible student with need to apply.
STG AWARDS CEREMONY
Every spring we hold an Awards Ceremony to honor that year’s grant recipients. We welcome our donors to attend, especially those who funded or administer STG named awards. Recognizing our students and connecting them with the sponsors of their awards is one of the great joys of our year.
The 2023 ceremony was held at the Staples High School auditorium on May 30, 2023. All 2023 applicants who received an award for the 2023-24 academic year were invited to attend, along with award donors and members of the Staples and Westport community. The ceremony was hosted by Dan Woog and included several guest speakers, including First Selectwoman Jennifer Tooker; Dick Kalt, a former STG board member and the donor for the Kalt Family Award, and Faiza Qureshi, a SHS ’17 graduate and past STG award recipient.
KEY STG DEADLINES TO WATCH
- 2024-25 Student Application: January 7, 2024
- Application Deadline: April 22, 2024
- Staples HS Seniors Applicant Interviews (for those eligible for an award): early May 2024
- STG Award Notifications: mid-May 2024
- STG Award Ceremony: June 3, 2024
KEY STUDENT INFORMATION
- STG awards are completely needs-based. We give away nearly everything we receive in contributions – approximately 96% of all donations historically fund grant awards, based on an all-volunteer board and low expense-ratio.
- STG application process is aligned to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, which is heavily weighted on family income and economic eligibility to ensure that grants go to Staples graduates with the greatest financial need.
- Grants are based on a student’s net cost of tuition, fees, room and board after factoring in all their school’s gift aid (merit- as well as needs-based aid), and other expected grants and scholarships from third party sources. Student loans are NOT factored into net need, meaning we do not penalize students or their families for assuming debt to afford school.
- All new applicants are interviewed to ideally match the wishes of donors with established named awards to the interests, ambitions and accomplishments of grant recipients.
- Unlike many aid programs, STG is not for freshman year only. STG recipients are invited to re-apply for further grants as long as they are enrolled in an accredited undergraduate institution.