Copy of Home
Supporting our graduates
Since 1943, Staples Tuition Grants has helped thousands of Staples High School graduates achieve their dreams by providing need-based grants for undergraduate and vocational school. In May 2023, we awarded $407,000 to 116 students, in grants from $1,000 to $7,500, attending 79 institutions of higher learning in 2023-24.
- The STG 2023-24 award pool of $407,000 is the highest ever in our 80 years.
- On average, we have met about 15% of our applicants’ funding gap between the costs they face and the amount they can afford.
- This funding gap is widening: the need from our applicants has grown by 50% over the last two years.
- About 10% of the Staples Class of 2022 received an STG award. The rest of our recipients are from previous Staples classes (2018-21) who are attending undergraduate schools.
- Nearly 700 individuals, families and organizations donated to STG in our 2022 fiscal year – to our general fund and the 80+ named awards that honor our community history and support our future.
Who We Are
Staples Tuition Grants was founded in 1943 by a group of Westporters who believed that any Staples High School graduate who worked hard enough to get into college should be able to attend, regardless of ability to pay. STG is an independent 501(c)(3) not affiliated with Staples High School, but completely reliant on the generosity of individuals, foundations, corporations and others. Our mission is to support the dreams of hundreds of local community students and their families by helping them close the gap between what they can afford and the ever increasing costs of tuition, room and board at institutions of higher learning.
Thanks to the generous donations of Westport residents and businesses, Staples Tuition Grants (a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit) continues to award college and vocational school tuition assistance to Staples High School seniors and graduates with demonstrated financial need. The Westport community has funded over 80 named awards created in honor of local individuals, families, and organizations with a special place in our town’s history.
We help the dreams of higher education come true through the support of residents, past-recipients, local businesses, private foundations and civic organizations.
CONGRATULATIONS . . . YOU GOT INTO COLLEGE!
Getting into college is hard, but paying for it can be even harder – that’s where STG comes in. Not only can students receive up to five thousand dollars toward their first year’s tuition, which is paid directly to their school, but they can apply and qualify for additional STG funding for each year they are enrolled in an accredited undergraduate college, university, or vocational school. Each year is a new application and a new grant – awards are not based on previous years.
GRANTS are NOT Loans. STG AWARDS do NOT have to be repaid.
STG grants are need-based and the application process is confidential. We use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) metric as well as each student’s individual tuition, room and board costs, netted against any school or third-party grants and scholarships, to calculate your need-based qualification.
Like any grant program, applicants should familiarize themselves with STG’s application deadlines. Please note the STG process requires Staples seniors to be interviewed by one of our board members so that we can get to know their achievements, desires and academic goals and match each student with the appropriate named award.
KEY STG DEADLINES TO WATCH
- 2023-24 Student Application: January 2024
- Application Deadline: April 2024
- Staples HS Seniors Applicant Interviews (for those eligible for an award): First week of May 2024
- STG Award Notifications: mid-May 2024
- STG Award Ceremony: June 3, 2024
Tax and Legal Information:
Staples Tuition Grants (STG) is incorporated as a domestic non-stock corporation in the State of Connecticut. It is a tax-exempt corporation in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (“Code”) and is classified as a public charity under section 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Code. Contributions to STG are deductible under section 170 of the Code. STG is also qualified under Code sections 2056, 2106 or 2522 to receive tax deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts. STG’s federal Identification number is 51-0182993. “Staples Tuition Grants” is a trade name under which the Staples High School Tuition Grants Committee, Inc. conducts business in the State of Connecticut. STG’s address is P.O. Box 5159, Westport, CT 06881.